A lot of TP-Link extender users are unaware of the fact that updating their device not only brings new features but also prevents it from potential threats. Therefore, updating the firmware of the TP-Link extender should be every user’s priority. If you are also an owner of a TP-Link extender, then you must update it either by accessing http://tplinkrepeater.net or using the Tether app. In this post, you will learn the step-by-step guidelines to update the firmware of your device using the TP-Link Tether app. Here we go.
Steps to Update TP-Link Extender
- Power Up the Extender
Before you do anything else, power up your TP-Link range extender. For this, you need to find a wall outlet near the host router and plug your range extender into it. Once done, press the Power button.
Now, wait until the power LED on your TP-Link range extender does not light up and become solid.
- Connect Your WiFi Devices
Once the LED light on your TP-Link device becomes stable, grab an Ethernet cable. Make sure that the cable is free of cuts. Now, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the extender and another to the host router.
Ensure that the Ethernet cable is properly connected to the LAN and WAN ports of your WiFi devices. Else, you won’t be able to prevent yourself from running into technical issues.
- Download the Tether App
After connecting your WiFi devices, unlock your mobile device. Ensure that it is having enough battery percentage to get the firmware upgrade process completed. Now, head over to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Look for the search bar and type the TP-Link Tether app into it.
Select the TP Link app from the list of results displayed on the screen and tap the download button. However, make sure not to download the app from any third-party source.
- Log In to Your Extender
Once the TP-Link Tether app gets installed on your mobile device, tap its icon and launch it. Now, you will be prompted to select your range-extender model. Once you do that, you will get redirected to the login screen of your range extender.
Now, enter the password of your TP-Link range extender and reach its dashboard. Here, you will see a list of tabs.
- Update the Firmware
On the TP-link extender dashboard, tap the Tools icon and select the System tab. Now, look for the Firmware Update option and tap it.
Tap the Update button located at the bottom of the screen. Within a minute or two, your TP-Link range extender will get updated to its latest version.
That’s how the firmware of your TP-Link range extender can be upgraded using the Tether app. On the off chance, you run into technical issues, give the following troubleshooting hacks a shot to get success with the process.
Fixed: Can’t Update TP-Link Extender
- Make sure that your TP-Link range extender is getting enough power supply from its power outlet. If not, consider plugging it into another power source. Check the same for the host router too.
- Your TP-Link extender and the host router must not stick with each other. Perhaps the WiFi signals of both devices are clashing with each other due to this. Maintaining a safe distance between your WiFi devices should be the priority.
- The device used to update the TP-Link extender needs to be updated. Apart from that, disable any antivirus application present on the mobile device for the time being the firmware update process is in progress.
- The TP Link extender login password is case-sensitive. So, you need to type it correctly and carefully.
- If you are using an already downloaded version of the Tether app, make sure that it is updated. Also, check whether it is cache-free or not. If not, then navigate to the Settings application of your mobile device and clear the app’s cache.
- Do not interrupt the firmware update process by switching off your mobile device or the extender.
This was all about how to update the TP-Link extender firmware via the Tether app. We hope that you will get success in executing the firmware upgrade process in a hassle-free manner with the help of the steps mentioned in this post.