Solar power is not new. In fact, it’s been around for centuries and was powering homes in the US long before electricity became the norm. The ancient Egyptians used solar energy to dry crops over 5,000 years ago, and Native Americans harnessed its power for heating their dwellings. Today we’re still harvesting this free renewable resource from our atmosphere – and there are plenty of reasons to consider solar for your home. Here are thirteen surprising facts about solar energy from experts like Paul Favret.
1. It’s renewable: Solar energy is a renewable resource, meaning it can be harnessed repeatedly. The sun is a virtually unlimited source of power, making it a sustainable choice for the future. Renewable energy, a beacon of hope in our fight against climate change, encompasses sources like solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal power. Unlike finite fossil fuels, renewables harness nature’s abundance, offering sustainable, clean alternatives. Solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, while wind turbines harness wind’s kinetic energy. Hydropower utilizes flowing water, and geothermal taps into Earth’s natural heat. Transitioning to renewables curtails greenhouse gas emissions, mitigating environmental degradation. Additionally, they foster energy independence and economic growth.
2. It’s environmentally friendly: Solar energy doesn’t produce harmful emissions or pollutants, making it a clean and green source of power.
3. It’s efficient: Solar panels are becoming increasingly efficient at converting sunlight into electricity. The average solar panel can convert around 15-20% of the sunlight it receives into usable energy.
4. It saves money: Solar energy can save you money on your energy bills. Depending on the size of your system and the amount of sunlight you receive, you could see a significant reduction in your electricity costs.
5. It increases home value: A solar system can increase the value of your home. Homes with solar panels have been shown to sell for up to 4.1% more than comparable homes without solar.
6. It’s low maintenance: Solar panels require very little maintenance and are designed to last for decades. Once your system is installed, you can sit back and enjoy the benefits of solar power with little to no hassle.
7. It’s reliable: Solar energy is a reliable source of power that can provide electricity even during power outages.
8. It’s versatile: Solar power can be used to power homes, businesses, and even vehicles.
9. It creates jobs: The solar industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the US, employing over 250,000 people nationwide.
10. It’s here to stay: Solar energy is not a fad – it’s an established technology that is here to stay. With the costs of solar panels continuing to drop, there’s no reason not to go solar.
11. You can get started for $0 down: There are a number of financing options available that can make going solar easy and affordable. With little to no money down, you can start saving money on your energy bills right away.
12. It’s scalable: Solar energy is a scalable technology, which means you can add more panels to your system as your needs grow.
13. It’s the future: Solar energy is the future of renewable energy and is poised to take over the market in the coming years. If you’re looking for a reliable, sustainable, and affordable source of power, solar is the way to go.
Solar energy is a reliable, sustainable, and affordable source of power that is poised to take over the market in the coming years. If you’re looking for a reliable source of renewable energy, solar is the way to go. Thanks for reading!