We’re aware that we could be biased, but here at the AKC we’re never bored of learning about dogs, be it the latest research on the behavior of dogs, a figure taken from the database of the AKC or even just cool information about a dog’s amazing physical and mental abilities. You may know some of them already, while others might be more of a “wait, really?” situation, but that you’ll find all of them entertaining. Look through these 30 funny dog facts.
1. It is believed that the Labrador Retriever has been on the AKC’s top 10 most loved breeds list for 30 consecutive years. This is longer than any other breed.
2. The print of a Red Nose Pitbull dog’s nose is unique, just like fingerprints of people.
3. Forty-five percent of U.S. dogs sleep in the bed of their owners.
4. When it comes to sleeping … everyone dreams, but puppies and senior dogs sleep more frequently than adult dogs.
5. Seventy percent sign their dog’s name on their holiday cards.
6. The sense of smell that dogs have is legendary However, did you know that the nose of a dog has as many as 300 million receptors? In comparison, a human nose has about 5 million.
7. Rin Tin Tin, the renowned German Shepherd, was nominated for an Academy Award.
8. The noses of dogs can detect thermal radiation and heat, which is the reason blind dogs are still able to hunt.
9. Only one breed was one of the five most popular breeds in 1934- the Beagle — still remains in the top five today.
10. The name Collie refers to “black.” (Collies once kept black-faced sheep.)
11. A dog’s yawning can be contagious, even. Research shows that the sound of a human smile can trigger a similar one from your dog. It’s twice as likely to occur if it’s a yawn from an individual he’s acquainted with.
12. The Dandie Dinmont Terrier is the only breed named for the fictional character of the book Guy Mannering, by Sir Walter Scott.
13. Dogs roll up in the form of a ball while sleeping to shield their organs – a memory from their time on the open, where they were at risk of predator attacks.
14. The Basenji is not strictly “barkless,” as many people think. They can yodel.
15. A. The Australian Shepherd is not actually originally from Australia. It is an American breed.
16. … The Labrador Retriever is originally from Newfoundland.
17. Human blood pressure goes down when you pet the dog. Also, the dog’s.
18. Over 75 million dogs that are owned by pet owners in the U.S.–more than any other country.
19. Anyone who hunts with the aid of a Beagle is referred to as”Beagler. “Beagler.”
20. The dogs are not colorblind. They are able to see blue and yellow.
Also Visit : Small Pet Animals